I am on a shopping ban — starting today until December 31, 2014.
I had absolutely no plans of doing this because I don’t believe in it. I want to be someone who can avoid buying stuff (in excess of what I can realistically use up) as a default shopping habit — without needing to be on a ban to be able to do it.
Right now, a ban is warranted for a different but somewhat related shopping goal: to take time and appreciate the stuff I already own — a makeup
addict lover’s version of stopping and smelling the flowers (was that supposed to be ‘roses’?). The worse case scenario is, I become successful at this ban, then binge shop afterwards. I will still consider that a FAIL.
My buying habits have gone crazy in the 3rd quarter of this year. I seem to be instantly distracted by stuff that are new to me. Good thing I’m not usually attracted to literally “new products” just because they’re new (i.e., new releases and limited edition items).
I need to be on a ban to break the cycle I’m currently in. I need to find a new source of high (I’ll try to exercise) and find a more permanent solution to this problem. For a time, I even considered quitting Scatterbraintures.
I have a lot of new-ish stuff — their new-ness haven’t even been fully savored because my mind is already on all the other things I (might) want.
In case you’re wondering, there will be exceptions:
- 2 pairs of false lashes (one pair to practice with, and another to use for a wedding)
- Bobbi Brown Black Gel Liner (because I don’t have a black gel liner, for real, but I’m holding off ’til I’m used to putting on liner everyday)
- Stuff to merely replace used up products that I only have one item of (example: if I run out of the only mascara I currently own)
- Sample Room stuff (so I can at least break even with the VIP fee)
- Supplies (cotton pads, brow razors, etc.)
I wasn’t going to write about this because I’m afraid I won’t be able to follow through, but I want to be in on the challenge with Romzs (read her post here: Makeup No-Buy 2014) and so that you can call me out on it. :D [EDIT: Shev is doing a ban as well, read: October Beauty Ban and The Hit Pan Project]