Recently, I’ve been feeling like I already have A LOT of makeup. But when I took an inventory of my stuff, I realized that the only product that I own an unreasonable number of is foundation (and maybe eyeshadows — I relatively have few, I think, but since I seldom wear them, I consider them a lot.)
Since I’m really good at rationalizing my makeup purchases, I’m better off setting hard rules than arbitrary guidelines (no buts).
I already did something like this more than a year ago but my rules were too tight (e.g., 3 lipsticks at a time? Uhmm, yeah, riiight.)
Starting June 2014, I have a new rule: I’m only allowed two product purchases a month (regardless of price). It’s still quite a stringent rule but it comes with an exception (of course). I’m allowed to buy one more IF I’m below these numbers.
The achievable count would be:
FIVE = 1 cream + 1 medium-full coverage liquid + 1 sheer liquid + 2 powder foundations (or any combination as long as I keep it to 5)
I could’ve brought it down to three but who am I kidding.
Foundation Wants List:
- L’Oreal True Match Super Blendable (4.5 Fresh Beige)
- NARS Sheer Matte (Stromboli)
- Maybelline Fit Me (220 or 250, not sure what my shade is yet)
- Urban Decay Nake Foundation (I think I could be #4)
- Any of the Becca face bases with the shade Olive
Note: Tinted Moisturizers and BB Creams are counted as foundations.
Current Stash = 7
FACE POWDERS (i.e., setting, finishing, blotting, and over-all highlighting powders)
I don’t set my foundation with powder. I used to think I’m extremely oily but I have a feeling that I rate ‘moderate’ in the oily skin spectrum. I’m very tolerant with shine on my face, as long as I don’t look sweaty. I think that the contrast between shiny face + matte everything else is acceptable.
I probably only need 1, but I’m not ready to give up on over-all enhancing/ highlighting powders yet. So, for now, I’d say:
TWO = 1 legit blotting and/ or setting powder + 1 over-all highlighting powder
Face Powders Wants List:
- Guerlain Meteorites (not decided on which one yet)
- Chanel Les Beiges Health Glow Powder
- Ben Nye Banana Powder (the pressed version); I have the loose powder which can be inconvenient sometimes.
- Bobbi Brown Retouching Powder (the yellow one)
- MAC Blot (Medium-Dark)
- MAC Mineralized Skin Finish (Medium-Dark)
Current Stash = 3
BRONZER AND CONTOUR
I think I can live off just one in this category — preferably a bronzer product. On contouring — I’m not quite sure why I ‘must’ want more prominent cheek bones or why it is the look to go for. I’m also not sure if I want to make my face look more slim or sculpted. I just don’t want to look flat.
For the sake of having one of each, the magic number will be:
TWO = 1 bronzer + 1 contour product
Bronzer/ Contour Product Wants List:
- Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Creme Bronzer (Rich Bronze)
- Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder (Medium)
- Soleil Tan De Chanel (is that still the name?)
- Nyx Taupe Blush
Curent Stash = 1 (NARS Laguna)
Aaaah, this one’s tricky. I’ve only recently started really using and exploring blushers. So, I don’t know. Maybe 6 should be enough?
SIX = 3 cream blushes + 3 powder ones (plum, lilac pink, something neutral, something corally or peachy).
Blush Wants List:
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Original Skin Blush (Gracilis, en route)
- NARS Sin or The Balm Instain Pinstripe
- Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush (the berry-ish shade)
- Illamasqua Cream Blusher (Laid and Libido)
Current Stash = 5
HIGHLIGHTERS (excl. Finishing Powders)
Highlighters are like concentrated pieces of the galaxy and they take forever to finish. So I’m keeping —
TWO = 1 champagne + 1 ivory
Current Stash = 2
EYEBROW STUFF & EYELINERS
These are my most neglected makeup stuff. My brows are quite bushy and I shape them on my own with a razor. I think I’m satisfied with the shape I come up with. I don’t feel the need to define them on a day-to-day basis.
With eyeliners, I don’t use them in the way they are usually used. I always make a smudged line instead of a sharp and precise line.
I think I only need one of each.
TWO = 1 eyeliner and 1 eyebrow product
Current Stash = 1 eyebrow pencil and 4 liners
Eyebrow Product and Eyeliner Wants List:
- Anastasia Brow Pomade (Ebony)
I think this doubles up as an eyeliner too.
- Shu Uemura Hard Pencil
- The grey retractable brow pencil from Tony Moly
- Kanebo Kate Slim Gel Liner in Brown
- Maybelline Color Tattoo (Tough as Taupe)
I guess I’m good with what I have right now. I’m realizing that palettes are awesome and they already cover my eyeshadow needs, more or less.
I guess, for now, I’m ok with:
THREE+ = 2 neutral palettes + 1 slightly more colorful palette (+ a few singles if I run out of my most used colors from the palette, and maaaybe MAC Club)
Current Stash = 3 palettes (is Inglot counted as a palette?)
I’m not a mascara wearer because I always poke my eyeballs/contact lenses when I try. Seriously.
I currently have one (probably) expired tube which means I technically don’t have mascara right now.
I guess ONE is enough.
Mascara Wants List:
- Maybelline Great Lash
- Fashion 21 Double Up Mascara (or is it Nichido)
I’m currently maintaining an arbitrary number of lipsticks. As long as they still fit my candle jar, I feel like I don’t have too much.
I think I have about 20. But I’m letting go of 4 tubes that I think I will never pick up.
Lipsticks Wants List:
- Melt Lipstick (6Six6 and Shady Lady)
- Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte (Razzberry, Red Carpet, Jenna, Tawny Pink, and Hot)
- NARS Matte Lip Products (Mascate [this’ll be a repurchase], Never Say Never, Sex Machine, Schiap, BLKR, and a lot more)
- Kevyn Aucoin Matte Lip Color(s)
- Tom Ford Black Orchid
Lipstick Rule: Don’t buy any more tubes if they won’t fit in the candle jar anymore.
I don’t have a problem keeping the numbers that low. I have mad de-stashing skills. My main problem is shopping itself. I can easily let go of 5 lipsticks and purchase another 5. What’s the point in that? I had to put a limit to the number of products I shop for regardless of the number of products I tossed, emptied, or gave away. So, I’m not allowed to buy more than 3 makeup items a month regardless of the amount of stuff I have.
Credit to Liz of Beauty Reductionista for this idea :)